11/26/2012

3 Types of Black Women Easier to Date, According to 1 Brother

dating black woman


Three catorgies to help weed out difficult black women

Downtown Nashville, TN is void of black faces. I noticed this when I visited the city last weekend for a minority writers’ conference I participated in. I assume that the majority of blacks are centralized in certain areas of the city, like around Fisk University and Tennessee State University, but choose not to hang out in the touristy downtown areas.

On the second day of my visit, my new minority writer friends and I went to a downtown Karaoke bar. While there, 3 black men walked in. They were the first brothers I had seen in days. And I just knew they would eventually gravitate our way.

One of the guys approached me and we began chatting. He wasn’t from Nashville. But he had moved there several years ago to pursue music. According to him, the music industry in Nashville is lucrative because that’s where all the white people are. He was easy going. A good conversationalist. And didn’t seem like he was trying to run a script on me. We talked about life, race and culture politics, music…then came relationships.

He started by saying how down-to-earth I came across. Then said, it was refreshing to meet a black woman who could hold a conversation, and not come off as “stuck-up” (maybe he was the culprit behind the “Being a ‘strong black woman’ doesn’t mean have an attitude” cartoon).

He said that he’s had a lot of bad experiences dating black women (though, many black men would share his sentiment). They are too difficult, he told me. Then he gave 3 examples of women he wouldn't date. So if you fall into any of the following categories, you're in the clear.

1) Black women who were raised by both parents actively involved in their lives
His theory: women, especially black women, who are raised having a good relationship with both of their parents are more grounded in their views on relationships. They have had examples of male-female interaction. And understand what it takes to make a relationship work.